Monday 20 May 2013

Eiruvin 73a, b

Something to chew on today.  An overview of today's daf: the rabbis try to unravel the differences between creating an eiruv for carrying in a shared courtyard and an eiruv for carrying in an alleyway shared by those using that shared courtyard.  

The rabbis focus on family units: 

  • Should sons create their own eiruvin if they sleep in their father's home? if they eat in their father's home? if they sleep and/or eat in the field?  
  • Do multiple wives - five is the number used as an example - each create her own eiruv or is she 'covered' by that of her husband?  
  • What about his slaves?  Must each of them create an eiruv, or are they permitted to carry based on their master's (sic) eiruv?  
  • And what about families sharing a courtyard? And more, what about coworkers or friends sharing a home?  


The rabbis end daf 73 with clarifications regarding merging of courtyards and merging of alleyways.  Are both required? in which circumstances?  Interestingly, the rabbis admit that their considerations include creating a law that will allow the children to remember both sets of laws: those for courtyards and those for alleyways.  As I detailed in yesterday's blog, the rabbis are well aware that their decisions are not simply about logic and G-d's intentions.  Instead, they are creating halacha by balancing practicality for the community (ie. laws that are easy enough for people to follow) and the desire for continuity of Jewish tradition over time.

In 73a, a discussion about women and slaves is augmented with notes shared by Steinsaltz.  If women (wives, to be specific) and slaves are each required to create his/her own eiruv, we can understand that they are agents beyond the absolute control of their husbands/masters.  However, if these wives and slaves are permitted to carry based on their husband/master's eiruv, they can be seen as less powerful agents in determining the directions of their lives.  

I can imagine that a wife or a slave might prefer to have her/his husband/master take control of establishing their eiruvin.  One less onerous task to complete before Shabbat; one less responsibility to shoulder.  At the same time, I can picture a wife/slave relishing the freedom and power inherent in establishing her/his own eiruv, determining whether or not s/he could legally carry over Shabbat.

We continue to struggle with taking on responsibilities that might enhance our lives.  As much as  taking on a mitzvah might be satisfying, it comes with the weight of expectation and accountability.  In modern times, we are taught by social media and other external forces that we need not take on responsibilities; the burden is greater than the potential reward.  

Like most of us, I struggle with whether or not to push myself toward greater public engagement.  Should I work more hours? Should I take on more mitzvot related to Shabbat?  Or will the weight be too heavy to bear?  In the end this internal conversation is not a debate that can be measured with 'pros and cons', where the heftier side of the scale will determine my actions.  

I have come to a place (as of today; who knows where I will be tomorrow) where I allow myself the option of changing my mind.  I will take on responsibilities knowing that I have permission to reevaluate at any time.  This daily learning of Talmud, for example.  I have taken on this learning as a mitzvah, but I have not promised myself that I will complete 7.5 years of learning.  Instead, I meet the challenge that I have set for myself day by day, finding ways to push myself through the challenges so that I can enjoy the larger process.

Although much has changed in how we are influenced over time, our Sages clearly understood so much of human nature.  How we function as human beings has not changed dramatically over 2000 years. Their conversations continue to create a framework upon which I can place my questions and ideas.  Some days the learning can be quite difficult, but tonight I feel very lucky to be engaged in this process.

4 comments:

  1. "I have come to a place (as of today; who knows where I will be tomorrow) where I allow myself the option of changing my mind."
    This is such beautiful learning, and somehow so hard to maintain. I am so impressed by the ways you can seize on what's meaningful in this journey without getting bogged down in the really ugly pieces (slaves, for example) and anachronisms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for this. I have to bite my lip and continue to read, trying to understand the ancient context presented. Such an amazing window into lives so different (and so similar) to our own.

      Delete
  2. I really appreciate this blog- so it is a mitzvah, but not just for you- it enriches others as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say! It is helpful to know that someone other than myself might be benefitting from this learning. And on the tough days, it really makes a difference to know that others interpret similarly. Thanks for this!

      Delete