Tuesday 23 April 2013

Eruvin 46a, b

Today's daf focuses on the principles of halachic decision-making.  This is wonderful for me, as I usually guess at the larger systems of thought surrounding the daily daf.  

We are told that a rabbi has suggested two rulings regarding one issue.  He tells us that rulings on eruvin follow lenient halalcha.  He also tells us that rulings follow the words of one particular rabbi in that situation.  The rabbis understand that we never need superfluous information; one ruling should be enough.  Why do we need both?  

  • The principle of leniency versus stringency is described: in general, Torah law suggests more stringent halacha, and rabbinical law allows for more lenient rulings.
  • Our Sages examine the question of peer influence: when one rabbi puts forward a lenient ruling and a number of authorities disagree, suggesting a stringent ruling, it is acceptable to follow the halacha of the first rabbi.
  • One particular rabbi's opinions might always trump another's.  
  • Eruvin and laws of mourning are rabbinical in origin, and thus are treated with more leniency.

Two examples are shared.  The first describes a ruling regarding an older woman who has not seen menstrual blood for three months.  When she sees blood, she is tamei from that day onward.  If we are speaking about a young woman (who has not yet had children), she is tamei retroactively for 24 hours.  This ruling followed the principles above.

The second example details truncated mourning rituals for a person who learns of a death from a significant proximity away.  Again, the halacha follows the above principles.

Further discussion of these halachic decision-making principles follows in b.

  • One may act in a person's absence if something is to the absentee's advantage
  • One may not be another's agent if the decision is to the absentee's disadvantage
  • The authority of rabbis is as follows:
    • Rabbi Akiva over any individual Sage
    • Rabbi HaNasi over any individual Sage
    • Rabbi Yosei over any group of disputing Sages
    • Rabbi Yehuda over R. Yosei or R. Shimon
    • Rabbi Meir over R. Yehuda
    • No one decided about Rabbi Meir with Rabbi Shimon
  • However, Rav Meharshiya reminds us that these principles are not always followed.
Daf 46 ends by beginning a new example of how these principles might not be useful.

I am tremendously grateful for dapim that explicitly state the rules of the game.  As an outsider in this learning (a woman, a Hebrew-challenged person, a non-Aramaic reader, a non-day-school student, a non-orthodox background, etc.), dapim like Eruvin 46 allow me to enter more fully into the world of our Sages.  

I can understand why some Jews would believe that this material should be kept only for those who learn in context.  I really do appreciate that I am missing so much more than I can even imagine.  But at the same time, I am so eager to claim my tradition, my history.  It belongs to me, too.  So I tread in this sea with great respect, but I also bring my own understandings and critiques to the practice.

Finally, I love the practice of struggling with the text, attempting to understand the intentions of the rabbis.  And then, just when I think that I understand, the argument turns and I'm told that none of what I just learned is relevant.  




No comments:

Post a Comment